When I was a little girl my absolute favorite thing about Girl Scout campfires was making and then eating banana boats. They were a wonderful special treat and absolutely delicious.
As an adult camping still means banana boats to me and I never head out on a camping trip without bringing banana boat ingredients along. What could be better than melted chocolate and marshmallows with bananas? Only eating it around a campfire.
- Miniature marshmallows
- Chocolate chips
- Aluminum foil
- With a paring knife, make a score down the center of the banana peel and across the top and bottom
- Peel back the banana peel and stuff the banana full of marshmallows and chocolate chips
- Carefully wrap the banana with aluminum foil and place in campfire coals
- After five to ten minutes, use tongs to pull the banana from the fire
- Once the banana has cooled enough to eat, peel back the foil and use a spoon to scoop out the softened banana
Tips and Tricks
- While amazing delicious, banana boats are very messy so beware!
- If you aren't going camping any time soon and you are craving banana boats, you can try baking the bananas in the oven
Have you ever made banana boats while camping? What is your favorite camping food?